Congressman Robert Pittenger

Representing the 9th District of North Carolina
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Pittenger commends Egyptian president for support of Christian minority

Mar 8, 2017
Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 

CONGRESSMAN PITTENGER COMMENDS PRESIDENT SISI FOR STRONG SUPPORT OF EGYPTIAN CHRISTIAN MINORITY

 

WASHINGTON – In February, Congressman Robert Pittenger (NC-09) participated in a Congressional delegation to Egypt, meeting for the fourth time with President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi to discuss efforts to counter the Muslim Brotherhood and other radical Islamic terrorists.

Congressman Pittenger also met with Coptic Orthodox Pope Tawadros II and Rev. Dr. Andrea Zaki Stephanous, President of the Protestant Churches of Egypt.  Both leaders expressed appreciation for President Sisi’s unprecedented support of the Egyptian Christian minority.

“President Sisi is concerned with the needs and rights of all Egyptians regardless of religion, working hard to ensure that Christians get all their rights as Egyptian citizens.  Coptic Christians have always been excluded from the Egyptian equation, but President Sisi is working towards changing this,” explained Pope Tawadros II.

“President Sisi’s policies supporting the Christian community are unlike any Egyptian leader in history.  Following the burning of the churches, President Sisi provided federal funding to rebuild and restore the affected churches.  To date, 95% of the damaged churches have been restored, and the remaining 5% are in the final stages of restoration,” said Rev. Dr. Stephanous.

“As Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS, Hamas, and other radical Islamic terror organizations spread hate and work to obliterate diversity, President Sisi is demonstrating a path forward for the Middle East, celebrating our religious differences and standing up for minorities,” said Congressman Pittenger.  “My hope is that President Sisi will be invited to address a Joint Session of Congress to explain his vision and needs.  President Sisi needs U.S. support in his battle against extremism.”

Click here for letters from Pope Tawadros II and Rev. Dr. Stephanous.

Congressman Pittenger serves as Chairman of the Congressional Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare and Vice Chairman of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Terrorism and Illicit Finance.

 

###