Pittenger: Funding bill supports rural NC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONGRESSMAN PITTENGER: BIPARTISAN FUNDING BILL SUPPORTS RURAL COMMUNITIES
WASHINGTON – As part of his ongoing efforts to support rural North Carolina communities, agriculture, and health care, Congressman Robert Pittenger (NC-09) is working to secure passage of the FY2017 Omnibus Appropriations bill.
Specific provisions which benefit rural North Carolina communities:
- RURAL DEVELOPMENT: Provides $2.94 billion for rural development programs, an increase of $166 million from last fiscal year.
- RURAL HEALTH: Provides 4 percent increase in funding for rural health programs.
- OPIOIDS: Provides $150 million increase for programs to address the opioid and heroin epidemic. Combined with $500 million already authorized by the 21st Century Cures Act, this will result in a total increase of $650 million to combat the opioid epidemic.
- AGRICULTURE: Protects farmers from unnecessary red tape by restricting application of certain harmful regulations in agricultural areas, including farm ponds and irrigation ditches. Increases funding for “Armed to Farm,” which provides agriculture training and opportunities for veterans.
- SMALL BUSINESS: Limits EPA overreach that is currently making it difficult for small businesses to grow and create jobs.
- INFRASTRUCTURE: Provides $1.1 billion to support critical North Carolina highway and bridge projects. Also provides $8.2 billion in loans and $630 million in grants to improve rural water and sewer systems in rural communities across America.
- DISASTER RELIEF: Fully funds FEMA at $7.3 billion for respective states and additional disaster relief programs at $928 million. Congressman Pittenger will continue fighting to ensure appropriate funding for victims of Hurricane Matthew, including additional future funding as necessary.
“National Security is also a major priority for me. This bipartisan spending bill includes over $25 billion in additional funding for the military, including a pay raise for our troops. We also provide an additional $1 billion for border security requested by President Trump,” said Congressman Pittenger. “At the same time, we were able to responsibly fund key rural priorities, including increased spending on infrastructure, the opioid epidemic, and rural health. We are protecting our nation, supporting rural communities, and moving away from the irresponsible, unrestrained spending of the Obama years.”